Houston Choral Society is a professional-quality civic chorus dedicated to performing great choral music to enrich the soul and advance the choral arts to Houston audiences.
We are a warm, friendly and welcoming group ranging across all ages, professions, and backgrounds. We are also a community with a wide range of musical experience. It is this diversity which has allowed us to thrive for so many years, and we are always ready to accept the refreshing input of new membership.
We hope you will join us during our next round of auditions!
To audition for Houston Choral Society, please do the following:
1) Review the Member Commitment section below and ensure you are able to meet the criteria. If you have questions about your circumstances, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected]. We will be happy to discuss your situation.
2) Reserve an Audition Date by using the link under Upcoming Audition Dates.
3) Prepare for your audition using the Audition Requirements below and be sure to complete the Membership Application form to the right (or below if you are on a mobile device) and bring it with you to the audition.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS: Auditions will be performed in front of an audition panel, including the artistic director and section directors.
Auditions consist of the following:
- Vocalization to hear your upper and lower ranges
- Pitch-memory exercises
- Sight-reading excerpt
- Prepared piece of your choosing (such as an aria, art song, hymn, etc.; an accompanist will be provided
Our Member Commitment
HCS rehearses from 7:00-9:30 pm at The Foundry Church most Monday evenings from August through May.
Our remaining 2019-20 Concert Season includes the following concerts:
THE GOSPEL SPIRIT: Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. @ Foundry UMC
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEETHOVEN! – featuring Beethoven’s Mass in C Major and the Finale from his Ninth Symphony (“Choral”): Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. @ Foundry UMC
THE CONTEMPORARIES (Chamber Choir): Friday, June 26, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. @ Tallowood Baptist Church
OUR LOCATION AND SCHEDULE: Auditions, rehearsals, and most of our concerts are held at The Foundry Church, 8350 Jones Road, Houston, 77065. Regular HCS rehearsals are held every Monday evening from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM from August through May, unless announced otherwise. Additionally, there may be dress, technical, orchestra and/or sectional rehearsals called before a performance in order to fine-tune the concert. Attendance is very important. If you miss more than two rehearsals per concert, you may be required to do an ITS (individual testing session).
Please note that HCS members pay annual dues. Also, female members are required to purchase concert attire through HCS, and male singers are required to have a tuxedo for each performance. Scholarship assistance is available for these expenses for qualifying applicants.